Last night I went to see the London Philharmonic, playing this programme. It was so amazing I've been on a high ever since, and I am currently deeply in love with Tchaikovsky. The reason I've decided to start going to orchestral concerts is because about a month ago, Kirsty and I went to see Romeo and Juliet at the Barbican. We were both really disappointed with the ballet - the costumes were ugly, as was the set design, the lighting design was non-existent, the two leads had no chemistry, and the choreography was boring. It did, however, make us want to go see some "proper ballet", and because I'm not very knowledgeable about ballet I have insisted we go see Swan Lake, because it's a classic and because Carlos Acosta is on rotation (although maybe you can recommend some other must-see dancers, fleegull or chimosa?)
Anyway! My point is, the highlight of the night for me was the London Symphony Orchestra, and Prokofiev's incredible score, and that reminded me how much I used to love going to see NZSO concerts when I was in high school. I plan to become a regular at the Royal Festival Hall, because even the £9 cheap seats are fantastic, and there is so much awesome stuff coming up.
And now, because this year I am celebrating Thanksgiving, a short list of things I am thankful for:
1. My friends and family, because what's the point of life without them?
2. Charlie, who makes me happy every single day.
3. Great music, because it reminds me how remarkable human beings can be.
3. Television, because there's no better way to pass the time.
4. Fine wine and good food, just because.
5. Tom Welling, Erica Durance, Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin, for rocking my world on a regular basis and for being my four favourite actors.
6. YOU GUYS. ♥